Below is a piece I wrote for The Living Lutheran at their request to pick up on May as Older Americans Month.  Bruce
----------------
“I Slipped On The Ice!”
A Living Lutheran Post;  May 1, 2014

Four months ago my wife answered the phone and the troubled voice of a close friend said with a combination of sharp pain and consequent sadness, “I can’t make it to the dinner tonight, I fell yesterday and shattered my elbow.” 

“Oh no.” said my wife, “How terrible.  What happened?  I am so sorry.” 

“Well,” our friend answered, “I slipped on the ice as I was getting out of the car in Zumbrota and fell on my left arm.  Where my elbow was supposed to be I could only feel a depression.  We went to the doctor right away.  I had emergency surgery last night and now have a plaster cast from my shoulder to my hand.  And it hurts!”

Well, not only did it take over three months for our friend’s severe break to heal, but major plans in her life were cancelled.  The fall significantly affected her life, her husband’s life, and to a lesser extent, the lives of friends. 

“But it could be worse,” as we say in Minnesota.

Our friend recovered pretty well in those three months, but recovery from falls by other friends over this past year have sometimes taken over a year, and during the last few years, friends have fallen and not recovered -- generally because the fall aggravated other health conditions.

Yes, we have friends and acquaintances who have suffered from cancer, heart conditions, joint problems, etc. (my wife and I both had cancer at the same time two years ago), but frankly, it is the fear of falling that is most on my mind as I think about the vulnerability of us older adults.

May is Older Americans Month, and our country’s Administration for Community Living appropriately has identified “Safe Today. Healthy Tomorrow.” as this year’s theme.  Their website says, “By taking control of their safety, older Americans can live longer, healthier lives.”   Raising awareness seems to be the plan of action this year.

Fair enough.  Given my experience anyway, if more awareness and concern about safety can help prevent more of us from a falling down in the future, our lives will surely be better and perhaps even longer.

But what’s next?  Do we pass out lists of safety tips?  We already know that we older adults are much more prone to accidents like falling than the rest of the population.  

Perhaps Living Lutheran’s theme for the month of May, “God calls each of us by name to join in the work and presence of Christ’s church in the world.” gives us some tips.  

If we combine the two themes, we get, “God calls each of us by name to join together with others in our church to affect the safety and health of older adults.”

I like that challenge for several reasons.  First, God is not calling our pastor to pass out tracts about safety.  He is not asking for a committee to mull over the problems of aging.  God is asking each and every one of us to do something – and to do it together!  Second, we are asked to work together in our Church to make a difference.  We don’t need to stand on street corners by ourselves, or approach our city council to name a “No-Fall” week in honor of older adults in town.   We already sit together with our church-mates so, at least to some extent, we already know some of what God knows – our names. 

Given our task, I suggest a  CCC approach:  Care, Choice and Conversation.   Let all the older adults in the congregation who Care about such things (such as living a safe/healthy life), make a personal Choice for one particular safety habit they choose to practice with regularity, and have Conversations with others about what they are choosing and why (perhaps because of past accidents, falls, or burns).  There is no need to make any of this overly structured, but to boost the spread of conversations on this topic it would be very helpful to publish the accident/fall/burn stories of a few of the older adults in your church’s monthly newsletter!

As an example, here is where I come out using the CCC approach:  

I CARE most about avoiding the painful and prolonged outcomes from accidents/falls based on personal experiences I have had myself or seen through the suffering of others. 

My CHOICE of a safety habit is one I already use with regularity – that of always grabbing the railing as I go up or down stairs.  It used to be that holding on the railing was something I avoided;  I guess I thought that it might be a sign to others that I needed help.  It was a juvenile excuse, but I’ve finally grown up a bit, at least on that issue. 

And finally, my CONVERSATIONS about falling and accidents among my friends and acquaintances go in cycles, depending on how recently something has happened;  a strange lightheadedness during a cross-country “race” by one my friends, or an ordinary stumble-on-a-rug fall by another, or my wife tripping over one of our cats at night.
 
Because we humans tend to talk about that which is on our mind, the publication of some real-life older adult accident stories by a church may be the easiest and most helpful way to foster both the “health” and “God’s call” themes for the month of May -- glorious, delightful, flowery, merry (and safe) May.

Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment

Posts