Cross-Generational Connecting Threads as Conversational Bridges

The other day I had an appointment with a 40-something member of our church to talk about gathering together the 200 or so older adult members of our church.  Our pastor had suggested this meeting between us, we older and younger members, so that together we might consider ways to include all older adults in some sort of older adult ministry in our church.

But as we got into our discussion, something else loomed large and we followed that new pathway.

It started as we talked about a written question to me from an older adult at church, “Why is it that disappointments and failures become much more intense as we grow older?”

As she had read that question earlier, my younger friend said that her first thought was,“But of course younger adults face more disappointments in life as they add up disappointments at work, in the neighborhood, at home, and with kids school.”  Older adults, she thought, surely have had more experience at dealing with difficulties and become wiser as a result, they don’t have as many diverse things going on in their life, and of course they have a pretty solid sense of “who they are”.  But then she read the reasons that I had collected from a sampling of older adults for why we older adults might resonate with that question about disappointments: 

  • It is disappointing to say good-bye too many times to different parts of our lives – our former selves.
  • My changed routines at retirement affect almost everything in my life.  My relationships keep changing again and again as my health fluctuates, or we move, or I don’t hear as well, or people don’t expect (as) much of me.
  • I find that what I said earlier, “That will never happen to me.”  is happening to me.
  • I find that the constant ever-changing health and mobility difficulties of friends, spouse and myself really affect how I think about the future.
  • I simply don’t have control over an increasing number of situations that affect my life.
  • Disappointments are no longer easy to put aside as they become part of my current identity – who I am now.
Interestingly, three different people each mentioned “time” in their response, but note how each addressed a different aspect of time;  this is a good illustration of our divergent perspectives!
  • I have less pressing business to do, so I have too much time to ruminate about stuff.
  • I know I have too little time left in my life to really fix things and so I don’t really try.
  • Time seems to have speeded up and I don’t really know how much time I have left.
My younger friend said, “After reading that list, I began to understand that it’s not just we younger adults who struggle with disappointments.  We all face disappointments, but for different reasons.  There are many connecting threads between the issues faced by older adults and younger adults.“

We then talked about some of those connecting threads.

For instance, there is a concern about relationships for both older and younger adults but often for very different reasons.  The younger adults are aware that divorce and separation are widespread in our culture and they can feel uneasy about their own relationships because of that.  Whereas older adults see relationships change dramatically because of mental deteriorations, or they see relationships end (physically) because of death.  Common concerns, different underlying issues.

In our culture, anxiety disorders are on the rise.  One sees it frequently in college students for instance.  With the young there is a widespread feeling that there are so many choices in life and “I have to do them all.” -- or at least try everything possible.  This frequently leads to overloads, overextensions and significant chronic anxiety.  When the young fall short because they committed to doing more than they have time to do they feel significant distress.  Older adults can find themselves with the same kind of overextensions and anxiety -- and disappointments.  But they tend to arrive at that point because they no longer feel they have enough energy or strength to do the number of things they did before.   Common concerns, different underlying causes.

Illnesses, accidents and disabilities such as mental illness, alcoholism, developmental disabilities or physical handicaps by one family member that can seriously disrupt family dynamics are as common for the young as for the old.  The influence in families of such difficulties can spread and for better or worse, over time, change a range of characteristics, emotions and behaviors of all family members.   Common concerns, and in this case, common underlying causes.

To notice that we older adults have much in common with the younger members of our congregations is to understand an important access to the potential healing power of cross-generation conversations about issues of (surprising?) common concern.   Such conversations-together can be seen as a bridge to hope and health.  Everybody benefits as young and old alike reciprocate in telling their story and listening with respect to the stories of others.  To know that other people that we respect, seem to understand and respect us (because they truly listen to us), is a powerful means of increasing everybody’s sense of well being.  

Bruce

P.S. To express gratitude for the sharing of stories that enable us to see how our common humanity is spread across lifetimes, is to add to our storehouse of resilience for facing each day and noticing the wonderful gifts of life from God.  But the power of gratitude-expressed is an issue for a future blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Posts